Friday, March 19, 2010

Vegan Coconut Biscuits


Vegan Coconut Biscuits 


I started out trying to come up with a nondairy Irish Soda Bread for Patsy. I figured I may as well get rid of the egg and make it vegan, too.

I made biscuits instead, because they don't take as long to bake, but you can easily plop all of the dough onto the silpat and make a loaf. You just have to bake it longer. These are surprisingly moist and tender, for having added no margarine or oil. I made a few plain ones, before adding shredded coconut to the rest of the dough. The plain ones didn't taste like they were made with coconut cream, at all. They didn't taste vegan (whatever that means). I would definitely make this bread again, even for my omnivore friends.

dry ingredients:
3 C flour
4 T sugar
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 T baking powder

wet ingredients:
flax fake egg (see below)
1 13.5-oz can coconut cream (not coco lopez)

1/2 C shredded coconut (optional)
granulated sugar (optional)

Sift dry ingredients together in mixing bowl. Stir wet ingredients together, in a separate bowl.

I used my KitchenAid mixer with the dough hook. Put sifted dry ingredients in mixing bowl. With machine on low, slowly pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stop occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Do not over mix. The dough will be very sticky.

At this point, I added coconut to part of the dough. This was an afterthought. I originally wanted to add raisins, but didn't have any. If you do want to add coconut, I would suggest adding it to the dry ingredients to save this step.

Drop dough by ice cream scoopful onto a silpat. Sprinkle with granulated sugar (optional) and bake for 20-25 minutes on 350°F, until lightly golden.

Flax Fake Egg
1 T finely ground flax seeds
2 T hot water

Heat over low heat. Stir continuously. Soon the liquid will become more and more colloidal. Let cool before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment